Twitter went viral, with multiple news outlets running headlines suggesting Mike Pence entered the 2024 race on Monday night after submitting a “candidacy statement” to the FEC on his behalf. However, the former Vice President’s spokesman did not turn in the paperwork for Pence to run for president.
“Former Vice President Mike Pence did not turn in to run for president today,” spokesman Devin O’Malley tweeted, later suggesting someone “pranked” pundits and journalists.
O’Malley declined to comment on the filing and directed Fox News Digital to send questions to the FEC.
A spokesperson for the FEC said it could not comment on specific submissions, but said the FEC has a process to review forms that may be false or fictitious.
2024 Showdown: Biden Surpasses Trump, Overtakes DeSantis in Possible Showdown
At 5:12 p.m. ET on Monday, a candidacy statement for “Mr. Mike Richard Pence” was filed. Previous filings with the FEC listed Pence’s name as “Michael” instead of “Mike”.
The former vice president hasn’t applied to run for 2024 yet, but Pence is considering the possibility during a national book tour for his memoir “So Help Me God.”
“The fact that people know me and my family better, our faiths, our conservative beliefs, is a big influence when we think about the path we’re on and our mission for the future,” Pence said. Fox News Digital, New Hampshire, Dec. 13.
If Pence runs for office, he will be running against former President Donald Trump. Donald Trump took his hat off to the ring last month and has been a relentless critic of former Vice President Pence since he left office.
Political commentators and Republican strategists also include Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis, Virginia Gov. Glenn Youngkin, South Carolina Senator Tim Scott, former Secretary of State Mike Pompeo, and former South Carolina Gov. Nikki Haley. No one has yet announced their intention to run.
CLICK HERE TO GET THE FOX NEWS APP
Meanwhile, Pence said last month that he believes Americans will have better choices than Trump in 2024.
Pence previously told Fox News, “I honestly believe there are better choices to be made,” Pence said. I hear people saying they want us to move forward with leadership that reflects respect and civility.”
Fox News’ Paul Steinhauser and Max Thornberry contributed to this report.