After losing his job in the Great Depression, Salvatore Chingari bought an old school bus, loaded it with fresh produce and turned it into a successful grocery store, calling his business Grade A Market. In 1943 he moved into his first building and soon his sons joined the business. In 1991, the Cingari store opened and he became a member of the Wakefern/ShopRite cooperative. Today, his four generations of Cingari’s family own and operate his ten ShopRite locations in Fairfield and New Haven counties, Connecticut. Cingari Family ShopRite is dedicated to serving and supporting the many needs of the community in which we live.
Among the store’s holiday favorites is the baked brie, the recipe of which Chef David S. Shingari has lovingly provided.
- 1 puff pastry
- 2 ounces jam
- 1 cube brie cheese
- 1 egg (for glaze)
- Flour (just enough to cover the surface)
- Spread the pie crust on a floured board.
- Spread 2 oz jam on one side, place brie in center and fold corners
- Pinch to seal.
- Wrap and freeze for 30 minutes (1 week in freezer with wrap).
- Remove from the freezer and place on a parchment-lined baking sheet. Brush with beaten egg.
- Bake at 350 degrees Fahrenheit for 30 to 45 minutes or until golden brown (longer if frozen).
For jam filling, try this maple bacon onion jam recipe.
maple bacon onion jam
- 1.5 lbs thick-cut bacon
- 2 large yellow onions
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme leaves or 1 teaspoon dried leaves
- Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat.
- Cut the bacon into 1/4- to 1/2-inch pieces and thinly slice the onion.
- Add the bacon to the hot skillet and cook until almost completely crisp. Drain all but 2 tablespoons of bacon grease.
- Reduce heat to medium-low, if still on, and add sliced onion to coat completely. Cook for 2-3 minutes until just starting to soften. (I want to keep it low and slow here.)
- Add remaining ingredients and stir until sugar dissolves.let them cook Cook slowly until the onion is dark golden and the jam is thick.
Use immediately or store in refrigerator for up to 2 weeks.Or you can freeze it Up to 2 months. It can be used by 3 to 5 people.