Marcus Johansson opened the scoring with a power play goal to clear up the loose puck in the paint. In the second, Eric Gustafsson was late with a rushing attack and Lars Eller added a skill goal from a slot before the period expired.
Conor Shelley got Shorty – no kidding – and that was it.
Caps win! Complete Darcy Kemper!
- I had this game circled on my calendar for over a month. It’s strange that the Caps have gone so long without facing their division rivals, and given New York’s superiority in the standings, these head-to-head matches will be important. Likelihood increased by 5 points and New York’s likewise decreased.
- I’m curious about the cap Play without John CarlsonThey were cornered in the middle of a 5-5 in the first period, so I jumped to conclusions quickly and recklessly. The Caps’ recent solid play is over! The recession is coming! I don’t know if that’s true, but I wanted to express my panic here. Because that’s what this space is for.
- I don’t mean to blow the guy up, but someone on Twitter said, “Hopefully someone will channel their inner Reavo tonight to beat the crap out of Wilson.” Everyone feels smug about that tweet.
- did Matt Irwin Do you want to pass through? You can see some components of the thru-foot, but I feel that the posture of the person doing the thru-foot is completely absent. I’m sure not.
Apparently, this is not a thrufoot!!!!!
I think 98% of referee whining is irrelevant, but this really is one of the worst referee games of the season. pic.twitter.com/oHDAY4s82f
— Adam Herman (@AdamZHerman) December 28, 2022
- In “one of the worst riffed games of the season,” several soft calls had the Caps in the box.
- Anyway, Irwin partnered with Alexander Alekseev, and they were devastated. By my last check, the Caps were outscored 15-4 on the shift. John Carlson, hurry back?
- Eric Gustafson‘s goal in the second period is his fifth of the season. I was going to say he’s on a career-best trajectory, but I saw him score 17 goals in 2019. I’m looking forward to partnering with Dyke to see if he can keep this up.
- Okay, Igor Shesterkin. Igor Shestakin, I understand. i will admit it. This is good savings.
Shesterkin’s save is no joke.
Turn after sliding to the right. stretch. Grab the puck just outside the goal line.
That’s incredible pic.twitter.com/L0BBFfcTSd
— Jesse Granger (@JesseGranger_) December 28, 2022
- lars error Scored in McNugget Minutes. I usually try not to talk about McNugget Minutes because I don’t get paid to talk about them. I always feel like I’m bad at parroting sponsorships and partnerships. I’m a thief, so I’ll insist on paying for Nagie tomorrow.
- Nick Jensen Arrested for a “closed hand in the puck” penalty. It was the 10th time he has been penalized this season and represents his 0.2% of all penalties.
- connor sherry We have two short-handed goals this season. Not before this season. He is normal height for me.
— Good Tweet Pete 🌮 (@peterhassett) December 28, 2022
The Capitals successfully defeated the Rangers. It’s good on its own, and even better when you consider the standings. But I don’t think Caps controlled the game anywhere but on the scoreboard, so I’m a little worried about the next matchup between these two of him. Oddly enough, it won’t be until February. Nine of the team’s last 17 games have been against his Metro team, and five of them against the New York team, so it’s going to be a big deal.
Two Canadian teams are next in DC. First in Ottawa on Thursday and then in Montreal this weekend. There are plenty of chances to continue this 9-0-1 run of his.
Headline photo: @Pepperoni River